2016-06-10

Time to stack up a bit...

I woke at 06:30 and started loading equipment in the back of the pickup truck for the half mile journey to the North side of the Farm where the apiary is.  Smoker, deep frames, queen excluders, gloves, hive tool, 3 supers with frames, and the bee keeping jacket, just in case.  Phone was dead, so I took the Canon camera with me.  Was at the hives by 07:00 and glad of it too.  It was already obvious that it will be a hot, humid day.

I had reviewed some information posted on the Natures Nectar blog site and watched a couple of YouTube videos about what I should do with the bees at this stage of the game the night before.  Arriving at the apiary, the first thing I did was remove the entrance reducers.  Only took a couple of minutes, and I realized by the time I got back to the truck that I had not put on the bee suit again.  I decided to forego it, as it was already hot with just my shorts, a t-shirt and the back-brace on.   Decided my luck might hold one more time(and it did).

I removed the separator from between the first and second deeps, then placed empty frames in the top-most deep.  Put a queen excluder on top of the second deep and a super with empty frames on top of it all.  What was left of the pollen patty in each hive I simply set on top of the frames down in the first deep.

I am as yet unclear if that separator should be in there right now, or even if the super should be on the hive yet.  I am worried about another delay getting back here though, leaving the bees with no room to grow into.  I did check for swarm cells and found none, which I take as a good sign that while my timing may not be optimum, it is at least not too late.

As I worked, I notice that some very healthy bumble bees were working the alfalfa blossoms very near the hives.  Did not seem to bother anyone though, including me.  Once things were in place and the rest put away in the truck, I broke out the camera with a closeup extender on it and tried to get a few shots.  I had contemplated bringing my tripod, and should have.  Macro photography without one is pretty tough.  I did get a couple of shots that I like though....



This is a shot of the clean-out board which I have on the center hive.
I found it odd that there was an oat seed in there...  The purpose of this and a couple of
other photos was to be able to determine if there was yet any sign of verroa mites.

Got lucky with this shot.  This is actually cropped down a bit...
I tried to get a shot of one that landed on my bare leg, but that is hard to do free-hand.
Will go out this evening and see how things look and take some more photos.  I can maybe use the mini-tripod to get a few good shots.  I want to play around a bit and get greater depth of field too. Even with today's cameras with all their automatic stuff, it takes work to compose exactly what one want to.  Am very much a novice at both bee-keeping and photography....    So damn much to learn yet!